Virginia Vehicle Registration
If you’re moving to Arlington from out of state, you’ll need to register your vehicle with the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles within 30 days of move-in. More on registering your car in Virginia.
Virginia Driver’s License
If you’re moving to Arlington from out of state, you need to apply for a Virginia driver’s license within 60 days of move-in. Exceptions include military personnel, out-of-state students, and temporary nonresidents.
If you hold a commercial driver’s license (CDL), you must obtain a Virginia CDL within 30 days.
Arlington County Vehicle Registration
- You must register your vehicle within 60 days of moving to the County, whether moving into Arlington from another state or from another Virginia jurisdiction — this sets up your vehicle’s County tax account.
Note – although you have 60 days to register your vehicle, the law requires the display of a County decal within 30 days, so it’s wise to register your vehicle and obtain a decal within the first 30 days after moving into the County or obtaining a new vehicle in order to avoid the risk of being ticketed by the police.
- The office will mail your vehicle tax bill a minimum of 14 days before it’s due. Note: This registration differs from your Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) registration.
Purchase a vehicle decal for each of your cars.
- Once your car is registered, you’ll need to purchase a vehicle decal.
- If you register online, you can pay the decal fee and print a temporary decal for use until your permanent decal arrives in the mail (approximately 7-10 days after payment).
Ensure your dog’s rabies vaccination is up-to-date and apply for a dog license.
Obtain a residential zone parking permit.
- If you live in a Residential Permit Parking (RPP) zone, you’ll also need an RPP permit or pass to park on the street during restricted hours.
- Note: Not everyone lives in an RPP zone. See if you live in a zone neighborhood and find out more information.
For more information, email the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office or call 703-228-3135.