2014 Vehicle Personal Property Notices
The 2014 Vehicle Personal Property notices have been mailed. The notices show the information we have on record for vehicles you own.
Note: leased vehicles and vehicles added after March 1, 2014 are not included in these notices.
Verify the information is correct and complete. If the vehicle information, your name and address, and your exempt designation are complete and accurate, you do not need to do anything. If there are inaccuracies or changes to the printed information, report them to our office on or before May 1, 2014, to avoid being taxed incorrectly.
To report inaccuracies or changes to our office, please do one of the following:
- Go online to your CAPP account. If you don’t have a CAPP account you can create one.
- Phone us at 703-228-3135
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Visit us at 2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 218. Our office is open 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., Monday – Friday.
Vehicle Personal Property Taxes
All cities and counties in Virginia have a personal property tax which helps fund local government. For Arlington County residents, the tax is assessed on all motor vehicles that are garaged (regularly parked) overnight in Arlington County, including:
- Motor homes
- Motor Scooters
The tax also applies to vehicles that:
- Do not display Virginia license plates (these vehicles may also be required to pay an annual fee)
- Are inoperable
- Are “temporarily absent” from Arlington (removed for a short period with the intent to return)
Vehicles are also required to display a county decal.
The Commissioner of Revenue’s Personal Property Tax Division assesses all Arlington vehicle personal property taxes, based on:
- The County Board’s set tax rate (for 2014, the tax rate has been set at $5.00 per $100 of assessed value).
- Your vehicle’s value. (The Commissioner uses the “Clean Loan” value in the January [of the tax year] edition of the “National Automobile Dealer’s Association Used Car Guide” for vehicle assessments.)
- The number of months your vehicle was located in Arlington.
- The amount of tax relief your vehicle is provided.
- The Code of Virginia and local ordinances.
For more information on tax assessments or vehicle personal property taxes, contact the Personal Property Tax Division:
- Call Center: 703-228-3135
- Service Counter (Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.):
Commissioner of Revenue
Vehicle Personal Property Tax Division
2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 218
Arlington, VA 22201
- Customer Assessment and Payment Portal (CAPP) Online Vehicle Registration
- Fax: 703-228-7581
- DMV Select (Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.): 804-497-7100