Vehicle Registration

A Note on Privacy

It has come to our attention that some customers, having recently registered a vehicle with Arlington County, are receiving solicitations from companies for services such as extended warranties. Because these companies have specific information on the vehicles in question, some people are concerned that they are getting the information from Arlington. This is not the case. All customer account information is treated with the utmost privacy in accordance with the Code of Virginia.  We do not sell or rent our customers’ information to any outside company or organization, nor do we reveal specific information about customers or other personally identifiable data to unaffiliated third parties for their independent use.

Vehicle Registration Guidelines

All vehicles that are located (regularly parked overnight) in Arlington must be registered with the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office (2100 Clarendon Blvd., Suite 218). You have 60 days to register your vehicle if:

  • You are moving a vehicle into Arlington
  • You purchase a vehicle that will reside in Arlington
  • You transfer the title of a vehicle located in Arlington

Please Note – although you have 60 days to register your vehicle, the law requires the display of a County decal within 30 days, so it’s wise to register your vehicle and obtain a decal within the first 30 days after moving into the County or obtaining a new vehicle in order to avoid the risk of being ticketed by the police. For registration, you’ll need:

  • A valid state vehicle registration
  • A copy of your most recent paid personal property tax receipt or filing (if you’ve moved your vehicle from another jurisdiction)
  • Payment for your vehicle’s County decal:
    • Automobiles – $33.00
    • Taxis – $23.00
    • Motorcycles – $18.00
    • Trailers – no charge

You can register your vehicle online, by mail, or in person at the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office:

Note: If you live in a Residential Permit Parking (RPP) zone, you’ll also need a RPP permit or pass for street parking during restricted hours. Go to Residential Permit Parking for more information.