The vehicle personal property tax year is from January 1 to December 31. Vehicles are assessed based on the number of months they have a taxable status in Arlington.
- A period of half a month or more is considered a full month.
- If your vehicle is not registered in another jurisdiction, it is considered to be temporarily absent from Arlington so the Arlington tax will not be prorated.
- If the vehicle is moved to a non-prorating Virginia locality, you will still owe taxes to Arlington for the full year.
- You should check your bill to ensure the Treasurer’s Office has billed you for the correct time period. If you were incorrectly billed, email the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office or call 703-228-3135.
Reporting a Change in Vehicle Status
Once the status of any of your vehicles changes, notify the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office as soon as possible. To make vehicle updates, you can:
- Log into your (or sign up for a) CAPP account
- Call the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office at 703-228-3135 to speak with a tax assessor
- Email the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office
- Visit the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office (2100 Clarendon Boulevard, Suite 218) Mon.-Fri., 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.
- Submit the Vehicle Disposal Form or the Vehicle Address Change Form online
If you wait more than 30 days to notify the Commissioner of your vehicle disposal, you must contact the DMV to be certain that the Commonwealth has a record of the vehicle’s disposal. After 30 days, a bill of sale or insurance policy providing the vehicle’s disposal date may need to be provided as documentary evidence of your vehicle’s disposition.
Moved Within or Out of Virginia
- If you wait more than 30 days to notify the Commissioner, and have moved within Virginia, you must provide your new address, your move date, and a filing receipt or paid tax receipt from your new taxing locality.
- If you have moved out of Virginia, you must provide a copy of your new state vehicle registration in order to adjust your account.