Arlington County Code requires a county decal to be displayed on the front windshield of every vehicle within 60 days of purchasing the vehicle or moving it into the county. Arlington County Police will ticket all vehicles garaged, stored, or parked in Arlington County that do not display a valid county decal.
- The County decal changes every year with your annual vehicle personal property tax payment in October, and you must display the new County decal by November 15 each year.
If you’re a new resident/resident with a new vehicle
- Register your vehicle with the Commissioner of Revenue’s Office
- Pay the decal fee — $33 for most vehicles (Note: If you’ve moved from another county that required a decal and it was issued within the current tax year — January 1 to December 31— the Treasurer’s Office will issue you a County decal for no fee if you present proof of purchase from the issuing county.)
- Look for your decal in the mail, which should arrive within seven to 10 days after the Treasurer’s Office receives your decal payment
If you’re a current resident
- Who doesn’t have a newly registered vehicle, you’ll receive your decal with your tax bill
- Who has outstanding debt with the County, you won’t receive your decal with your tax bill — you’ll receive your vehicle decal from the Treasurer’s Office once you pay your outstanding debt and the decal fee
Note: You must pay all personal property taxes and any outstanding debt, including parking violations, to receive your vehicle decal from the Treasurer’s Office.
If you didn’t receive a County decal with your bill or have any other decal-related questions, call 703-228-4000.
2016-17 Treasurer’s Office Decal Design Competition has begun!
The Treasurer’s Office is now accepting student submissions for the Twelfth Annual Decal Design Competition, where the winning design will appear on the 2016-17 decal, and will be displayed on more than 160,000 vehicles registered in Arlington. It will also become part of the Arlington decal exhibit located at the county administrative building on the second floor of Courthouse Plaza, 2100 Clarendon Boulevard. For more information, please visit here.